Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Boutimelio and Koketso

On Monday I got up at 6am to go with Sybille (long term volunteer from Switzerland) to the hospital. Thandazo one fo the older girls at House 78 had to get some papers signed from the doctor for more oxygen and Khosi (the little burned boy) needed to get his bandages changed. I went to go and visit Boutimelio.
The hospital we went to it's the ususal one that Lambano goes to. It is quite big though and lots of empty places there that I wouldn't wanna walk down one of those corridors alone at night. The way it works is that they give everyone the same appointment 8am, doctors don't start seeing people until later, so quite a long line can form. The earlier you get there the closer of a place in line up front you get. A mama from the hospice took Khosi and she was first in line and the doctors won't be there until noon. Sybille and Thandazo would see the doctor at 9 and it won't talk long to get papers signed.
The system at the hospital works like this for example Boutimelio was in 285. 2 Section, 8 Floor, 5 Unit and thats how one navigates thoughout the hospital. We took the elevator there are 3 but only one was working so a bunch of people crammed into it when it finally got to our floor. I dislike elevators in the first place so cramped in with a bunch of people for 5 minutes didn't sit well with me. I took the stairs when we left.
It's not the cleanest place for being a hospital. And the rooms have at least 6 beds in each of more. So Boutimelio was in a room with 3 other kids. He doesn't know English very well so he was very quiet I just did some activities with him and read to him for 2 hours until Sybille came to get me. We talked to the doctors and they said that he could go home the next day. He had been on an IV for 14 days.
Uncle Philly (Lambano handy man) was to pick up the other mama and Khosi since it was only 11 and they hadn't even seen the doctor yet. We had to get back for a farewell lunch for Valerie (short term volunteer from Ireland) because she was returning home that day.
Yesterday Koketso's foster parents came to take him home to Pretoria. Staff is a little nervous because he got so sick, on the brink of dying, in the first place because the mom wasn't firm with him and his medicine and let him eat whatever. They explained to her that he wouldn't make it if that happened to him again. We'll see in 6 weeks when he comes for a blood test.
So one left the hospice, but one returned. Boutimelio was discharged from the hospital and is back now...I'll saw him this morning and he looked up and smiled at me. Praying that he will be ok here now and won't have to return to the hospital. The staff here doesn't know why the hospital sent him home...he really does not look that well...

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father in lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. James 1:17

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment